[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Ken Scales kscales at xplornet.com
Thu Apr 10 18:44:00 UTC 2008

Darren Richards wrote:

> <snip>
> I have a 52" Sharp Aquos (LC52D62U).  I love it, but I'd have a hard
> time recommending it to anyone else.  Sharp is notorious for banding
> issues (do a quick search on AVSforum).  I returned my set twice
> because the banding was unacceptable.  The third set  is acceptable,
> but still suffers from slight banding that is visible only if I look
> at a flat gray screen.  Other than that, contrast is acceptable for an
> LCD, and HD content looks incredible.
> <snip>

This is the second time that the old Sharp Aquos "banding" problem has
been mentioned in this thread, so I decided I should pop in with more
"recent" info.  Check the dates on those messages on AVSforum.  The
internet has a long memory, but retail competition wouldn't let this
type of defect in high-end hardware continue this long.

Yes, the problem did exist about 15 months ago, and took a while for
Sharp to resolve.  Reportedly, the problem was determined to be related
to their new factory:  the rollers on the assembly line were marking the
panels, causing the banding.  The rollers were replaced (that would be
over a year ago...)

Just be sure not to buy a "refurbished" unit or "old stock" that might
be on clearance from a big-box store (or check the manufacturing date).