[mythtv-users] Motorola DCH-3200 and Ubuntu

William Munson william_munson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 10 22:33:36 UTC 2008

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Someone recently posted something about having a
>>  Motorola DCH-3200 and being able to get it to work with
>>  Ubuntu 8.04.  I tried it with Ubuntu 7, and could not get
>>  it to work.  Could you post step-by-step instructions,
>>  including the modified prime-firewire script that I think
>>  you mentioned was needed?
>>
>>  I am not a linux or mythtv newbie, but I am a firewire
>>  newbie, and am getting a bit frustrated.  I am beginning
>>  to think that maybe the FW ports on this 3200 box are
>>  just turned off, contrary to what the FCC says.  I even
>>  tried Windows, with the stb_firewire_drivers_2007-12-17
>>  package, and nothing works.  The drivers install fine,
>>  but any application I try can't find anything connected.
>>

> in general, the distribution won't change whether the firewire works
> or not, the kernel build will. (except in the FC world, but I refuse
> to believe FC exists...). That said, if it also doesn't work in
> Windows then I'm going to go with the "Your firewire ports are
> disabled" answer.

I agree. Under windows it should work. Under ubuntu it should be
recognized as a firewire device using the device scan tools. I have
written a working GUID based external channel change script that
stabilizes the port if the port is not currently actively in use before
changing the channel. It has worked flawlessly for a couple hundred
recordings over the past month or so. If you decide you need it, contact
me off list as its somewhat specific for my setup and will need a bit of
massaging to be usable for public consumption. (Hard coded paths and
GUID mainly, plus I have modified ubuntu to be root friendly as I am
comfortable working as root and prefer to be able to log in as root
without the PITA sudo command.)

I would contact your cable company 2nd level tech support and request
that they turn on the firewire port. If they balk, remind them of the
FCC requirement for a functional port. They should be able to turn on
the port remotely. Otherwise take the box back and request one with the
port enabled. Again, remind them of the law if they balk.

Cable companies do not like this feature and will try to get around it.
Good luck!

PS - You are plugging into the outside port of the two ports if yours
has 2 ports. Correct?