[mythtv-users] LCD HDTV recommendations (that are Myth friendly)...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 02:49:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> do you currently have your HDTV connected directly to your MythBox?
>  or are you routing your signal through an AVR?  i guess i'm wondering
>  what Myth 'best practice' is :)
>
>  i'm currently routing through my AVR but everything is SD to an old
>  CRT, so i'm not doing any scaling/formatting of any kind.  i'm
>  planning on routing in a similar manner with the new screen, but
>  everything will be connected via HDMI instead of S-Video.
>
>  and if you are routing your output through an AVR, are you doing any
>  scaling/formatting in Myth, at the AVR, or with the HDTV itself?

I run everything to my 3806 and then have it convert to HDMI to output
to my TV. So I have my Mythbox via DVI->HDMI, my Oppo SACD/DVD-A/DVD
player via HDMI, our live tv cablebox via component, and whatever
random stuff. The 3806 (and the newer 380x's and higher models) have
the ability to convert from whatever input without scaling, so like
all the component inputs get converted to HDMI but the resolution
isn't converted. Though I do have it converting the Wii we
occasionally have connected to 480p by the Denon. I have my Panasonic
do all other conversion (ie to 1080p) since it has a really good
scaler and Myth's scaling more or less sucks

Actually, I kinda wished for the 3808 to come out, the 3807 had 4 hdmi
inputs but used different DAC's for the audio which weren't as good so
I went with the 3806 (being more of an Audiophile), then the 3808 came
out with the better DAC's && 4 HDMI ports....

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!