[mythtv-users] Fwd: RCA Digital TV Converter Box, DTA800

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Sat Apr 12 03:13:23 UTC 2008

Mitch Gore wrote:
>> I just got my converter box coupons today and been trying to get it
>> connected to my PVR-150 and working in myth.  Obviously I got it
>> connected ok I just need to get my IR blaster working.

Pardon me for asking, but it appears as though you're taking an OTA mpeg-2
stream, converting it to analog (and down-res-ing it in the process), then
asking your PVR-150 to convert it back to an mpeg-2 stream.

....why?  Why not buy a cheap OTA capture card and capture it straight to
disk without the decode/recode in the middle?  Then you wouldn't need an IR
blaster at all!  Seems to me like you're taking a rocket ship around the
moon to pick up groceries from the other side of town.

(I know you already bought the box, but hey at least you didn't spend *a
lot* of money on it!)

I have a ATSC tuner card, and also a backup DTV converter box just in case
my myth box does a serious faceplant.  (Always good to have a backup plan;
keeps the S.O. happy if you screw up!)