[mythtv-users] AppleTV with Linux

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Sat Apr 12 17:00:34 UTC 2008

>  > Just booted the cdrom installer for KnoppMyth and installed it to the
>>  AppleTV using a modified procedure with atv-bootloader. This is the
>>  first ever cdrom boot of Linux on the AppleTV.
>>
>>  This new procedure will make the installation easier as a doner PC
>>  hardware is not required anymore. One could install directly on to
>>  the AppleTV.
>>
>>  More details later as this procedure is refined.
>
>Sounds GREAT Scott.  I am very excited to see this as it develops.  Is the
>plan to use the USB port to install linux/myth, and then free it up for use
>with a USB IR receiver?  Or can you just use the IR receiver that's in the
>ATV with say, an MCE remote?

There's lot's of options with regard to the install. It all depends
on how you want it configured and much work you are willing to do;>.
I'll be adding a page on the wiki soon that goes into to this much
more. There are many options.

The single USB port on the AppleTV is not really a problem, UBS hubs
work fine and depending on what you are doing it, might not even need
to be a powered USB hub.

Unfortunately the Apple IR receiver on all Apple computers is
configured to respond only to Apple IR controllers. You don't get the
raw IR data but a pre-processed stream. You can get more button
functions seen with a learning remote that emulates several Apple IR
controllers. When you change the paring ID, the decoded stream
changes slightly.

But decoding another remote control is not possible.