[mythtv-users] DISH Receivers and external HDDs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Apr 12 20:58:39 UTC 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:

>> You're telling me I need a license to store an mpeg stream (that I
>> have already paid for) on a hard drive?
>>
>> As I said: Greed.
>
> The license is not to store an mpeg stream, it's to pay for the use of
> the MPEG decoder patent owned by Frauhofner Institute (FhG). Same way
> MP3 encoders are supposed to pay FhG for the use of their patented
> code. LAME gets around this by not distributing an executable, and
> thus not actually using the code (All the LAME binaries are
> self-compiled or compiled by a 3rd party source that doesn't care
> about such legalities).

I am already using the decoder in the receiver. If I add additional
storage via their $40 external drive feature I am still using the same
decoder for the same programs.

I admit I haven't read Frauhofner's license, but I find it hard to
believe the terms change depending on how and where I store the mpeg
stream.

I understand the mpeg licensing, probably better than most, but I do
not think it has anyhting to do with this $40 charge.

If I believed the $40 was being passed on to Frauhofner I'd happily
pay it, but I doubt that is the case.

beww

beww