[mythtv-users] video2ipod - having trouble with perl

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 00:57:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been trying to get Jeff's video2ipod script to work and been running
into some problems getting it to run.  Specifically I'm having an issue with
the Term::ReadLine call in line 251

It's spitting out an error message: Cannot do `initialize' in
Term::ReadLine::Gnu at /usr/local/bin/video2ipod line 251

line 251 is : $term = new Term::ReadLine 'name';

I've been driving myself crazy trying to get this error ironed out and
google isn't helping.  With 'just' the basic Term::ReadLine that comes with
perl I get the error: 'preput' is not supported in this version of
Term::ReadLine.  Installing Term::ReadLine:Gnu (which is supposed to provide
the preput command I then get the error above.

I started with a stock Fedora 8 perl installation, and even upgraded perl to
5.10 to try to get a newer Term::ReadLine

I'm not sure what to do now - I'm sure I'm doing something trivially wrong,
but don't know that much about perl, so I'm stabbing around in the dark a
bit.

Thanks!
Nick