[mythtv-users] video2ipod - having trouble with perl

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Sun Apr 13 01:56:34 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get Jeff's video2ipod script to work and been running
> into some problems getting it to run.  Specifically I'm having an issue with
> the Term::ReadLine call in line 251
>
> It's spitting out an error message: Cannot do `initialize' in
> Term::ReadLine::Gnu at /usr/local/bin/video2ipod line 251
>
> line 251 is : $term = new Term::ReadLine 'name';
>
> I've been driving myself crazy trying to get this error ironed out and
> google isn't helping.  With 'just' the basic Term::ReadLine that comes with
> perl I get the error: 'preput' is not supported in this version of
> Term::ReadLine.  Installing Term::ReadLine:Gnu (which is supposed to provide
> the preput command I then get the error above.

The preput error is perfectly fine. Really it's just a warning, and
you can safely ignore it. All of the Term::Readline stuff is just for
when you run it from the commandline and do tagging. If you have
preput, it will give you the default tag and let you edit it on the
line before saving it. If you don't have preput, you have to just type
the whole tag. For myth it doesn't matter, since it's being run as a
script anyway.

> I started with a stock Fedora 8 perl installation, and even upgraded perl to
> 5.10 to try to get a newer Term::ReadLine
>
> I'm not sure what to do now - I'm sure I'm doing something trivially wrong,
> but don't know that much about perl, so I'm stabbing around in the dark a
> bit.

I'll make that error a little clearer in the next release!

 - Jeff