[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 10:48:33 UTC 2008

2008/4/13, DISAFAN <disafan at aim.com>:
> I'm curious for input on the issue of power saving in a frontend. What
>  techniques people have used, setups, etc.
>
>  Do you shutdown your frontend when not in use, put it in power-saving
>  mode, leave it on?

This is what I do for combined backend/frontend:

1. set scaling_governor for your cpu to "ondemand" (you can also test
"conservative"). you can also use "powersave" but it will use the
lowest cpu speed  (/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu[01]/cpufreq). you can
also play with scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq.
2. set hard disks to sleep after few minutes (5 probably) (hdparm)
3. go to standby after 15 minutes (xscreensaver kills mythfrontend
after 12 minutes and mythwelcome sends the mythbox to standby after 3
minutes)

I change the scaling_governor to "performance" when I play HD files in
mplayer and set it back to "ondemand" after closing mplayer. btb, I
pathced mplayer yesterday to use CoreAVC from Windows and is working
pretty good with less cpu power.