[mythtv-users] LiveTV default channel/input card selection

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 13 12:05:52 UTC 2008

On 04/13/2008 07:33 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>>  OK, so if I remove my cards and add them in a different order, this
>>  should do the trick.

Use the "Delete all capture cards" part of:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

> Yes, but unfortunately, that will also change the preference order for
> what the backend uses to record a show,

Pretty much, though much less so than, i.e. changing the input preferences.

>  which you probably find more
> important (I certainly do).
>
> There is also a setting somewhere that you can turn off (don't recall
> where or what it's called) the will let livetv pick the first tuner
> instead of the last.

In frontend settings under General Settings, page 1, "General (Basic)."

Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows
If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to have
scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.

Note, though, that the above setting defaults to false, so the OP would
have had to have turned it on.

>  The downside there is that you are more likely to
> get conflicts between livetv and recordings so you could
> 1) Get booted from live tv when it comes time to record.
> 2) Not get a show recorded when whoever is watching LIveTV decides to
> cancel the scheduled recording when the dialog pops up.

True.  But, now there's:

Allow live TV to move scheduled shows
If enabled, scheduled recordings will be moved to other cards (where
possible), so that live TV will not be interrupted.

(in the same location).  Or, of course, there's the "right" fix--don't
use LiveTV.  :)

Mike