[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sun Apr 13 20:37:16 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 April 2008 03:23:48 pm steve wrote:
> |> I'm curious for input on the issue of power saving in a frontend. What
> |> techniques people have used, setups, etc.
> |>
> |> Do you shutdown your frontend when not in use, put it in power-saving
> |> mode, leave it on?
>
> other than the pennies it might save by turning it off or suspend, whats
> really the point....  everything of mine stays on 24x7.  it uses more
> power to turn everything back on than it does to keep it running, plus
> puts more stress on the components.

that's not been my experience.  with S3, suspend to ram, on my master backend
and two separate frontends, i shaved $25/mo from my electric bill.  i would
say that's a decent chunk of cash.

the backend shuts down and wakes automagically using acpi wakeup and the
frontends are powered up and down using the power key of the mce remote--1
click on, 1 click off.

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E