[mythtv-users] grub error 15 on new Knoppmyth install

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 03:36:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Fred Firestine <ffluvssg1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Tried to set up a new account on the Knoppmyth forum to ask this
> question, but it says my email address has been banned (?). Anyway, I
> was a happy Knoppmyth user for several months, decided to get new
> hardware, as some will remember from answering all my questions...
> Now, when I go through the Knoppmyth install process, all goes well
> until the first boot, when I get a "grub error 15" message. I have
> searched high and low, seen some things about editing grub.conf to
> select the correct drive/partition, but I can't even find that on the
> drive (which I can mount after booting with a Knoppix or Knoppmyth
> CD). BTW, I just installed MythDora (to see if that would work) and it
> boots fine. I have a 250 GB drive, and I did see some stuff on the
> Internet about LBA being enabled in the BIOS, and it is.
>
> Can any Knoppmyth folks help with this problem? The quickest way for
> me to get back up and running would be to use the config I already
> have backed up. I can do a new setup but I would rather avoid it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

I have learned some more about lilo config today, but my attempts to
fix this problem have failed. Don't know if this info would ring a
bell. I have two drives. My intended boot drive is a 200 GB IDE drive,
device name /dev/hde. I have a second drive installed, a 250 GB SATA
drive, device name /dev/sda. I suspected that something was going on
with the boot order, despite the fact that I have set the IDE drive
first, so I took the extra step of updating the MBR on both drives
using the same lilo.conf file (which points to /dev/hde1, the correct
boot device). I have seen several postings on the Internet trying to
correct this problem, but no good solutions. Sigh. Any ideas? I will
try disconnecting the SATA drive next to see how that goes.

Fred