[mythtv-users] Should I stress about nVIDIA motherboard drivers?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Apr 14 09:31:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 01:35 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> >  I checked the nvidia site, and right now there is no specific Linux driver set for the nFORCE 630a / Gforce 7050 motherboard. Is this something I should be waiting with baited breath for? Or should I be looking to fine-tune what I've got?
> >
> In most cases you do not need any motheboard drivers with linux
> because they are already in the kernel.

Uhhh... WHAT?  NVidia driver - if you want the performance, please refer
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/169.12/README/appendix-a.html

You'll see the 630a / GForce 7050 referred to as a supported chipset for
the 169.12 driver... current kernel nv driver, as pretty much anyone
who's been on this list for a while knows, isn't anywhere near ready for
use for myth when using HD...

now back to the original questions... the OP didn't list the CPU, so I
gave a link for the 64-bit driver.  Depending upon the CPU, XvMC may not
be needed.  (I haven't used it for myth in over 2 years.)  And if it's
for playing back content from a PVR-150, XvMC definitely not needed
these days...

	-I