[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 15:00:01 UTC 2008

Brian Foddy wrote:

> Can you describe your machine a bit more.  15 watts of power is
> VERY low in my experience.  I too have a kill-a-watt and the lowest
> power machine I have in my house is a p2-450 that uses about 56
> watts, its a linux firewall running 24x7.  I'm ashamed to mention my
> frontend that because of bios and cpu upgrade issues, doesn't have
> any low power sleep or easily power-down options.
>
> I'd be curious in a ultra-low power firewall machine where performance
> isn't a big issue, and a much better performance HD frontend machine
> that has good sleep and power features.

I built my firewall round a basic EPIA 5000 Mini-ITX board, runs 24/7, with an
old 8Gb hard disk, pulls 37W. I might be able to shave that if I retired the
disk and put the software on a CF card. I tried many different firewalls over
the last four-five years, finally settled on pfSense, which allows CF card usage.

Now all I got to do is figure out how to turn my back end media server (~160W)
off when it's not being used. That's about #50 on the list of 'important things
to do'.

Mike Perkins