[mythtv-users] ffmpeg and multiple CPUs. Was: Should I be switching to 0.21?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 18:21:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>  >
>  >  On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > That is interesting.  I wonder if the same applies for AMD chips?
>  >  > IIRC, the on-screen documentation recommends not using libmpeg2 with
>  >  > 64-bit processors, but I may be incorrect.
>  >
>  >  Would this apply to 64-bit CPUs running 32-bit code? Or just to
>  >  machines running 64-bit code?
>  >
>  >  I have yet to become aware of any advantage to running Myth in 64-bit
>  >  mode, but the mpeg libs and possible commflag are where I would expect
>  >  to see a difference if it exists.
>  >
>  >  The theoretical benefits of 64-bits might well be negated by the
>  >  optimization over the years of the code for 32-bit environments.
>  >

>  Yeah - I meant 64-bit code (x86_64).  Was I not wise to install the
>  64-bit version of Gentoo when I re-installed it on one of my frontends
>  yesterday?

Currently I have a 0.21 32-bit backend, four 32-bit frontends, and a
single 64-bit frontend. Only my 64-bit frontend exhibits problems
streaming from the 32-bit backend. It's very jerky and stutters
starting up a new playback. It worked great under 0.20 and only
started doing this with the update to 0,21.

All the other machines are working fine, pretty much as they did with 0.20.

- Mark