[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Apr 14 20:22:13 UTC 2008

>So i have never really considered the ATV as a viable frontend.  I
>have read a little bit about it but cant seem to find these answers.
>
>1.  Can the ATV can play MPEG2 1080i and 720p from Myth?  Running
>native Linux?

720p and 1080i mpeg2 content can be decoded and displayed without
problem. You might get a little audio stutter when doing 1080i and
the OSD is present, the EPG is fine. 1080i mpeg2 requires using XvMC
under Myth. MPlayer can handle 1080i mpeg2 using just Xv.  720p mpeg2
does not require XvMC.

>2.  Can/will the ATV be able to play file from the HD PVR (h.264)?

Most 720p h.264 is fine. Using the skiploopfilter option under
ffmpeg, the AppleTV seems to handle high bit-rate 720p fine. 1080p
h.264, not a chance unless it's a low-bit rate or someone figures out
hardware accelerated decode under Linux.

>3.  Do you use the standard Apple remote?  Or which one is preferred?

I use the Apple IR remote or my Harmony for more control, for
ultimate, a tinny tiny USB keyboard. Other's have used the microsoft
USB media center remote controller. Again, it's LIRC and any remote
controller that uses USB and LIRC should work fine if the Apple IR
remote is displeasing.

>3.  what are the Caveats?  (there has to be some)

A one click install does not exist (although KnoppMyth is pretty
close). But there are pretty good guides at the atv-bootloader wiki.
You will be doing some command-line stuff but not much. Since the
AppleTV has the same set of hardware for everyone, it's pretty easy
to create guides that just work.

The little amber/white LED in front blinks on and off. I've not yet
reversed how to control that ;)

>4.  Does proactively work at disabling linux?
>
>(ie.  are they taking the approach of Sony PS3, Linux is Ok or
>Microsoft Xbox no linux!)

Who, Apple? They don't care and have stated that much publicly. I
think the quote is "It's your AppleTV and you can do what you please,
just mind the warrantee". With some install methods, you don't even
have to open the box and can use an external USB drive for Linux so
there is not a warrantee issue.