[mythtv-users] Power Saving Frontend Ideas

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Apr 14 20:40:42 UTC 2008

>1.  Can the ATV can play MPEG2 1080i and 720p from Myth?  Running
>native Linux?
>
>I should add with Bob(2x) de-interlacing or Kernel at minimum.

I guess that is a 1080i question as 720p does not require
de-interlacing. High cpu intensive de-interlacing will suck too much
cpu. And 1080i requires XvMC which will limit which de-interlacing
options.

My option on interlacing, For an interlaced display (crt),
de-interlacing is a waste of time. For a de-interlaced display (lcd,
plasma), let the display do the deinterlace (ie, set it to 1080i
output). It does it much faster and better than I can do it. My
Westinghouse even de-interlaces 1080i content when set to 1080p which
tells me that it's doing some fancy detection/de-interlacing inside.
I run at 1080p display resolution and 1080i looks great with no
de-interlacing by Myth and I'm real picky about image quality.

If you want an inexpensive silent platform for 720p, 1080i mpeg2 and
720p h.264 to a HDTV capable display. the AppleTV is great. If you
want the intimate picture with custom modelines and custom
de-interlacers and lots of cpu power to do these features, then the
AppleTV might not be for you.

So AppleTV -> HDTV display via HDMI or component works very well.