[mythtv-users] Firewire in Fedora 8

Tim Fenn fenn at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 15 18:22:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:09:15 -0400 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Tim Fenn wrote:
> >
> > My guess is that its loading the firewire_core and firewire_ohci
> > modules.  If so, follow these directions to blacklist them:
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora_7#Restore_old_Firewire_modules_.28optional.29
> >
> > HTH,
> > Tim
> >

> OK, that seemed to work.  Sort of.  I followed those instructions and
> saw that I now have /dev/raw1394, but when I run plugreport, I get:
>
> [root at HJDMyth ~]# plugreport
> Host Adapter 0
> ==============
>
> Node 0 GUID 0x00159afffe163f4a
> ------------------------------
> oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
> oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
>         channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
> iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
>
> Node 1 GUID 0x0000d100801965fc
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>
> Host Adapter 1
> ==============
>
> Node 0 GUID 0x0011d80000757c73
> ------------------------------
> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>

> I know that I have the cable plugged in, as I never removed it when I
> reinstalled my box.  Should I unplug it from the STB and plug it back
> in?  Also, I see that my kernel version is 2.6.24.4-64.fc8, which is
> a little newer.

Everything there looks fine to me.  Your STB is on node 0 of adaptor
0.  Try out some test captures and see if all works well:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire#Test-mpeg2

> I did see that my remote no longer works via lirc after I did this.
> I haven't looked too far into this, but I see in /var/log/messages
> that lirc started with no errors, so I don't see why it wouldn't be
> working. I do have the kernel module for 2.6.24.4-64 if that helps.

setting up the firewire should have zero effect on lirc, and debugging
why it isn't working requires a bit of information.  Is lirc still
running when you start the frontend?  does myth have access to the right
lircrc? are the permissions/modes all correct on /dev/lirc* ?

HTH,
Tim

--
CAPS LOCK IS THE CRUISE CONTROL OF AWESOMNESS