[mythtv-users] Firewire in Fedora 8

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 00:21:46 UTC 2008

Tim Fenn wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:09:15 -0400 Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Tim Fenn wrote:
>>
>>> My guess is that its loading the firewire_core and firewire_ohci
>>> modules.  If so, follow these directions to blacklist them:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora_7#Restore_old_Firewire_modules_.28optional.29
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Tim
>>>

>> OK, that seemed to work.  Sort of.  I followed those instructions and
>> saw that I now have /dev/raw1394, but when I run plugreport, I get:
>>
>> [root at HJDMyth ~]# plugreport
>> Host Adapter 0
>> ==============
>>
>> Node 0 GUID 0x00159afffe163f4a
>> ------------------------------
>> oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
>> oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=0
>>         channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
>> iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2
>>
>> Node 1 GUID 0x0000d100801965fc
>> ------------------------------
>> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
>> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>>
>> Host Adapter 1
>> ==============
>>
>> Node 0 GUID 0x0011d80000757c73
>> ------------------------------
>> libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
>> libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR
>>

>> I know that I have the cable plugged in, as I never removed it when I
>> reinstalled my box.  Should I unplug it from the STB and plug it back
>> in?  Also, I see that my kernel version is 2.6.24.4-64.fc8, which is
>> a little newer.
>>

> Everything there looks fine to me.  Your STB is on node 0 of adaptor
> 0.  Try out some test captures and see if all works well:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire#Test-mpeg2

When I try this, I get:
[root at HJDMyth ~]# test-mpeg2 -r 1 > test.mpg
libiec61883 warning: No plugs exist on either node; using default
broadcast channel 63.
Starting to receive

I have to Ctrl+C it to stop and end up with a 0 length file.

I then tried to compile firewire_tester.c in the contrib directory but
get errors, mainly due to:
[root at HJDMyth contrib]# gcc -Wall -o firewire_tester firewire_tester.c
-liec61883 -lraw1394
firewire_tester.c:14:32: error: libraw1394/raw1394.h: No such file or
directory
firewire_tester.c:15:34: error: libiec61883/iec61883.h: No such file or
directory

Here's the 1394 packages I have installed:
[root at HJDMyth contrib]# rpm -qa |grep 1394
libraw1394_8-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
libraw1394-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
libraw1394_8-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
ieee1394-kmdl-2.6.24.4-64.fc8-2.6.24.3-5.fc8
libdc1394_22-2.0.1-10.fc8
libavc1394-0.5.3-1.fc6
libraw1394-1.3.0-3_11.fc8
ieee1394-2.6.24.3-5.fc8
libavc1394-0.5.3-1.fc6
libdc1394-2.0.1-10.fc8

>> I did see that my remote no longer works via lirc after I did this.
>> I haven't looked too far into this, but I see in /var/log/messages
>> that lirc started with no errors, so I don't see why it wouldn't be
>> working. I do have the kernel module for 2.6.24.4-64 if that helps.

As for lirc, if I run irw (from within an SSH session), I can see the
keys being pressed, like so:
[root at HJDMyth contrib]# irw
0000000000001794 00 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 01 Up Hauppauge_350
0000000000001794 02 Up Hauppauge_350

I just don't get anything on my frontend anymore.  Any ideas on where I
should be looking to debug this one?
> setting up the firewire should have zero effect on lirc, and debugging
> why it isn't working requires a bit of information.  Is lirc still
> running when you start the frontend?  does myth have access to the right
> lircrc? are the permissions/modes all correct on /dev/lirc* ?
>
> HTH,
> Tim

Thanks,
Harry