[mythtv-users] AppleTV as backend?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Thu Apr 17 00:08:08 UTC 2008

>Marc Barrett wrote:
>>  I noticed that all of the discussions here about the AppleTV have
>>  focused on using one as a MythTV frontend.  I don't have an AppleTV,
>>  and really don't have any plans to get one, but just out of
>>  curiosity, couldn't one be used as a backend, also?  With an
>>  HDHomeRun, for instance.
>
>I was planning this as well.  HDHR, Apple TV, and either USB2.0 or NAS for
>large storage drives.

In refining the KnoppMyth installation, I'm running a combined
front/backend pulling from a HDHomeRun. This works but the combined
load of frontend, backend and mysql really puts a load on the system.
When mythfilldatabase kicks off, stutter time in LiveTV when doing
1080i. Add commercial strip/transcoding jobs and it's way too much.

The AppleTV on Linux does a remarkable job as a frontend. Remember
it's only a 1GHz pentium-m inside. I don't recommend a combined
front/backend unless you only have SD content.

As a backend (no frontend), it should be also be fine and the loads
should be lighter than as a frontend. I'm waiting for the HD-PVR to
come out. The cpu load should be similar to the HDHomeRun on a single
channel.