[mythtv-users] Master backend always on, shutdown/wakeup slave?

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Thu Apr 17 07:28:27 UTC 2008

I've been searching through the wiki and various google results to see if what
I'm imagining is possible/plausible. I've gone through Mythwelcome, etc. and
previous to this adventure had a successful setup with one master,
acpi-wakeup, with two separate frontends, etc.

Latest adventure...
I have an "in the basement" master backend that records from a hdhomerun and
also has some other, non-MythTV functions, so I'd like that to stay on all
the time. I just set up a slave backend that must reside in my condo where
the cable connection is and this backend uses the cablebox-lirc-pvr350 setup.
this slave backend is also my primary frontend.

I would like to be able to exit the frontend on the slave, allowing it to
shutdown whenever it will not be recording on the pvr350 and have the master
wake this slave when a recording that needs to record on the pvr350 is about
to begin.

It seemed like this was sensible, until after I had configured both the master
and slave backend.  The result is that if the slave backend is shutdown, the
master (at least in MythWeb's backend status page) does not list the upcoming
recordings that would have occurred on the slave, but simply lists the slave
as disconnected.  Will the master wake the slave in time for those
recordings?  I did set the slave wakeup command in the master backend's
setup.

Am i doing something/setting up something incorrectly, or is
the "master-always-on-slave-sometimes-on" not supported?
--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E