[mythtv-users] best way of recording everything?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 16:51:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I live in the Netherlands and can record all three national public TV
> nets from one multiplex on a DVB transponder.
> Now that there is the ability to record multiple channels with one
> tuner, I have a small question:
>
> What would be the best way to set up MythTV to record `everything`? (and
> of course stuff that I schedule intentionally)

I think a flexible way would be to create Power Search rules, one for each
channel (then you could also disable them individually if you ever needed to
for some reason) and set that to a low recording priority with autoexpire
enabled.  Put anything this rule records into a "Everything" recording group
so that it is grouped separately from your regular recordings.

Then go ahead and create individual rules for the shows you like without
expiration and a different or Default recording group.  Then these will be
grouped and stored differently and not get affected by your other
recordings.

With this in place you should have all the recordings you want plus having
anything that is or was broadcast (up to storage limits) in an "Everything"
recording group which you can then browse and watch.

> I.e.: How do I also record other channels other than the one I am
> watching?
> How do I make the program switches as accurate as possible?
> What is the best way to set things up?

With the above, there are no more "other channels" since everything is
recording, every show, 24x7.

Kevin