[mythtv-users] A/V Receivers & MythTv

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:19:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>  > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Brad DerManouelian
>  > <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>  >> On Apr 18, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Some of the newer AV receivers do have good chips in them, most
>  >>> especially for upscaling from things like an SD Tivo to an HD
>  >>> screen.
>  >>> I'm looking for one with a VGA input so I can drive it directly from
>  >>> an older Mac Mini.
>  >>
>  >> I'm sure they're not bad chips. I'm also sure that an nvidia card
>  >> will
>  >> do just as good of a job of scaling it up to your display.
>  >>
>  > And exactly, pray tell kind sir, do I place this NVidia card in a
>  > little tiny Mac Mini which cannot be opened and doesn't have slots?
>
>  I was addressing the original poster's concerns about the quality of
>  video through an AVR or using a card like an nvidia card. But since
>  you decided to ask a sarcastic question, I'll just assume you're being
>  a jerk and don't really want to talk about the differences between a
>  standard graphics card and upscaling of an AVR.
>
>  -Brad

I'm not in any way trying to be a 'jerk' Brad. The OP asked a valid
question. I only said 'good' chips in my response, not 'great',
'better' or anything like that. You responded to my comment so what
can I think except that you didn't read my response or didn't spend
the time to think about it. So be it for who's actually being what...

Now, in my case I have an older HD TV that doesn't work well with
modern remotes. This causes us to have to switch inputs on our AV
receiver as well as switch inputs on our TV. If I could take my MythTV
output through the receiver, upscaled from PVR-150 video to HD on and
then output on the composite outputs from the receiver, then I would
not have to switch the TV and my WAF goes up. Beyond that, if the
receiver could accept a VGA output from a PC then my WAF potentially
goes through the roof because we now watch at least 4x as many hours
of Netflix streaming as we do commercial TV record by Myth.

Anyway, maybe someone else who gets it will give a positive response
as I'm not interested in what a specific graphics card can do in this
application. It's immaterial to me unless it support Netflix also.

Thanks,
Mark