[mythtv-users] Are there any practical advantages of ext4 forMythTV?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 18 23:11:19 UTC 2008

On Apr 18, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Misty P wrote:

> I would ask how often you like filling out bug reports with
> "EVERYTHING ON
> THE DISK JUST DISAPPEARED!"
>
> Not saying ext4 is junk, just that it's *very* new.  I don't mind
> testing
> new video drivers, as I can always ssh into the machine and shut it
> down if
> it really goes south.  Disk drivers, on the other hand, if they go
> south
> they can barf all over your file system.
>
> ...I *like* my file systems without barf on them.  That's a big part
> of the
> reason why I use JFS -- IBM hammered on it a long time before it was
> ported
> to linux; I figure it's highly likely that most of the bugs have
> already
> been found!

People who want to test ext4 should probably run such a partition in
parallel with a more mature one. I'd certainly not trust it for an OS
or anything critical. Nothing against the developers of ext4 but, as
you say, it's *very* new.

Given the history of ext2 and ext3 it will probably turn out to be
quite good - eventually.

beww