[mythtv-users] Preview Errors caused by superfluous LiveTV zero length files?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 19 07:05:10 UTC 2008

On 04/18/2008 12:25 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> And if they haven't been generated ahead of time, enabling their display
>> would make the Watch Recordings screen completely unusable.  Since
>> there's no harm in generating them, ...
>>

> (In reference to preview images.) Mike, I know that this comes up every so
> often, and I know what your views on them are, but consider this:
>
> Quite a lot of users have our video directories optimised to store honking great
> files, since that's what videos generally are. Unfortunately, preview files are
> generally only a few Kb, and there is often more than one per video, so, since
> our allocation blocks are usually much larger, the preview files do actually
> waste a lot of space.
>
> Also, not all of us live in the States and and are able to get our disk space
> very cheaply.
>
> I'm not against preview files, although I personally consider them a waste of
> time. Other people may find them useful. However, wouldn't it be helpful in the
> case of the allocation problem if they went in their own directory, which could
> have smaller allocation sizes?

If you look at the top of libs/libmyth/storagegroup.cpp, you'll see:

const QStringList StorageGroup::kSpecialGroups = QStringList()
    << "LiveTV"
//    << "Thumbnails"
    << "DB Backups"
    ;

The "Thumbnails" special storage group will be uncommented as soon as I
can get around to finishing up the patch I've been working on that puts
the preview pixmaps, a.k.a. Thumbnails, in their own storage group.

Mike