[mythtv-users] Frontend playback buffer

Eric Dalquist eric.dalquist at doit.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 19 18:36:02 UTC 2008

I'm using an OS X front end and an Ubuntu back end to record and watch
OTA HD content from a HDHomeRun. I'm using a Linksys WRT350N for
wireless and routing.

If I run the network at 802.11G speeds everything works fine though I
have to be careful that nothing else is on the network when watching
shows as the HD stream uses 95% of the available wireless bandwidth. I
can transfer files to/from the back end at 2-3MBps via scp and other tools.

If I run the network at 802.11N speeds playback in myth is very choppy.
Bandwidth is fine, file transfers run at 8-9MBps and doing a direct
stream from the HDHomeRun to VLC on the laptop is fine. The router isn't
showing any status errors and all other network traffic works as expected.

I'm not quite sure what to try an do to resolve this. Are there any
front-end buffering options that I could try changing?

I'm using the 0.21 release.

Thank you,
-Eric