[mythtv-users] transcode?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 03:42:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>  Brian Wood wrote:
>
> | On Apr 19, 2008, at 8:48 PM, steve wrote:
>  |> |
>  |> | Since you're using RTjpeg I assume you're using a frame grabber
>  |> | card(s).
>  |>
>  |> yeah pvr150
>  | Wups, a PVR-150 is not a frame grabber, it's an MPEG2 hardware
>  | encoder. Unless you're transcoding you have MPEG2 files, not RTjpeg,
>  | and I don't see any reason you'd want to transcode to RTjpeg.
>  |>
>  |> If you have the horsepower you could encode to mpeg4
>  |> | directly, but you probably know that.
>  |>
>  |> i went through all the recording profiles and changed the whole
>  |> shebang
>  |> to mp4, we'll see what happens i guess. using an amd 3200 with a gig
>  |> of
>  |> ram....not the fastest puppy but it does ok for now... he was going to
>  |> watch a south park episode from wed, but it wouldnt play at all... he
>  |> just came upstairs to watch it on my trusty ubuntu setup lol.
>  | If you selected mpeg4 encoding you don't have a PVR-150, need to
>  | resolve this as the first thing I'd want to know is what is the
>  | Windows box trying to play.
>
>  ok, I guess im not clear on how things are recorded.  so the pvr150
>  provides a mpeg2 stream which myth records.  What does the transcoder do
>  then, I have it checked off to transcode after shows record, and I have
>  all profiles set at mp4.  just changed them.
>
>  windows fe just watches recordings, and sometimes live tv.  tv works
>  fine, recordings always say no codec.

I've been curious about this for quite awhile but never tried it. I
have a dual PVR-based 0.21 backend under Gentoo. I downloaded the
windows version from a link on this page:

http://mythtvnews.com/2008/03/17/unofficial-windows-frontend-mythtv-player-updated-for-021/

Fired it up, gave it the ip address of my backend and immediately had video.

I do not intentionally do anything to the video coming from my
PVR-150/250. I'm not totally clean on when to use or not use
transcoding so I've never used it.

Anyway, it's working here. My windows machine is Vista home Premium.

- Mark