[mythtv-users] 0.21 HD playback problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 20 18:23:58 UTC 2008

On 04/20/2008 02:16 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> OK, after an hour or so of poking around, I figured out that the easiest
> way to turn off PulseAudio in Fedora 8 is to edit /etc/alsa/alsa.conf
> and comment out the loading of /etc/alsa/pulse-default.conf . That done,
> I no longer see audio-related errors in the logs. However, XvMC *still*
> does not work. The only way I can get HD recordings to play back is to
> move the XvMC-related entries down in the playback profiles so that XvMC
> is not used. This is OK for now, but I am concerned that when I get to
> football season and on Sunday afternoons I am recording two HD games
> from the HDHomeRun while playing one of them back, I may run out of CPU
> power and start seeing choppy playback. So I still want to fix the real
> problem.

Recording HDTV takes almost no CPU, so if you can play back when not
recording...

But, I won't stop you if you really want to set up an inferior video
renderer.  (I won't help you either, as I don't/won't ever use XvMC.)  :)

> The other problem I have that may be related is that the picture
> controls are no longer there (there is no "adjust picture" menu item
> during playback). I have checked the "Enable Picture Controls" button on
> the first Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback screen, but the controls are
> not there.

You're either using (i.e. through falling back from unsupported) some
non-Xv renderer or your card doesn't support Xv picture controls--like
the NVIDIA 6x00 or above.

Mike