[mythtv-users] DVB-S card won't lock consistently

Chris Dennis cgdennis at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 20 18:48:10 UTC 2008

Hello folks

I'm setting up a MythTV system (details below), and I've got stuck with
a DVB-S problem here in the UK.

I know there's a good satellite signal because it works with the Sky box
(which I'm trying to replace).  The 'scan' command from dvb-utils works
fine, and creates a good channels.conf file with entries such as:
 BBC 1 London:10773:h:0:22000:5000:5001:6301

When I do 'Scan for channels' in mythtv-setup there are a couple of
choices:

1) Full scan (tuned)
- works OK if I enter, e.g. 10773000 H 22000000, showing more than 90%
signal strength, and a steady S/N ratio of about 90%, and it tunes in
BBC 1 London and several other BBC channels.  But then if I try to watch
one of those channels, it fails to lock and shows nothing at all.

2) Import channels.conf
- if I try to import the channels.conf created previously by 'scan', the
signal strength is over 90%, but the signal/noise ratio flickers between
about 70% and 90%, and it fails to tune any channels at all, eventually
timing out.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

System details:
- MythBuntu 7.10, with MythTV 0.21
- Hauppauge Nova-T-500 DVB-S card, which shows up in lspci as:
  00:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video
and Audio Decoder (rev 05)

cheers

Chris

--