[mythtv-users] DISH 722 receiver and "screen saver"

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 21 17:10:17 UTC 2008

Anyone using a 722 (or other DISH DVR) receiver with Myth and run into
this problem?

It has an "inactivity timer" that shuts the receiver down after an
interval if inactivity. You can disable this via the menus, but even
if you do this, it apparently puts up the "press select to watch TV"
screen after it completes its download of program info.

Obviously Myth has no way to know the receiver is in this condition,
so recordings can be blown.

With an older receiver I just sent a "select" code before the channel
number, this had no effect if the receiver was already on.

Now, however, with the 722, on some channels, sending a "select" code
when the receiver is displaying normal video results in the unit going
into "interactive" mode, something you definitely do not want for a
Myth recording.

The only solution I have come up with is to set the update time to
5:00am, and set up an auto-tune function for 5:30. This is still a
problem if I happen to want to record something at 5:00, but that's
rare.

Anybody have a better solution?

beww