[mythtv-users] slow mythweb?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 21 17:33:20 UTC 2008

On 04/21/2008 01:13 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> If you
>> really want to record everything with that system, you may need to find
>> another program to do it.  Or, you can get a better system.  Or, you can
>> try more systems (though you'll almost definitely need a more powerful
>> master backend--as it's the one that does the scheduling).
>>
> For recording only three channels I need more than this Epia?!
> What is the bottleneck?

Only 3 channels is meaningless when you tell Myth to record /every/ show
on those 3 channels.  Just a simple query on my system shows that 3 of
my channels (a local NBC, CBS, and ABC affiliate--i.e. some of the US
main networks) have 1200 shows in the next 2 weeks (through the end of
the available listings data).

So, Myth is managing information about all of them.  It's also checking
for duplicates.  It's scheduling when best to record them to make sure
you record them as early as possible and/or with the best capture card
possible and/or ensuring the proper prioritization of shows and/or with
the fewest conflicts (all dependent upon various MythTV settings).  It's
doing a ton of stuff.

Therefore, I still suggest some other program (i.e. dd or getatsc or
something) or get a better system.  Of course, there's also the one
suggestion I failed to provide earlier:  dig into the code and try to
fix it yourself.  Only then will you see why what you're asking is
probably too much for your little EPIA.

Using myth_upcoming_recordings.pl, my system shows that it will record
85 shows in the next 2 weeks.  It also has 165 duplicates and 25
deactivated recordings.  Now, imagine scaling that such that some number
closer to 1000 recordings will occur...

Mike