[mythtv-users] slow mythweb?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 21 17:52:51 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/21/2008 01:13 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> If you
>>> really want to record everything with that system, you may need to find
>>> another program to do it.  Or, you can get a better system.  Or, you can
>>> try more systems (though you'll almost definitely need a more powerful
>>> master backend--as it's the one that does the scheduling).
>>>
>> For recording only three channels I need more than this Epia?!
>> What is the bottleneck?
>
> Only 3 channels is meaningless when you tell Myth to record /every/ show
> on those 3 channels.  Just a simple query on my system shows that 3 of
> my channels (a local NBC, CBS, and ABC affiliate--i.e. some of the US
> main networks) have 1200 shows in the next 2 weeks (through the end of
> the available listings data).

What use is that?
Listings info is updated daily and maybe even more often.
So why do the same work over and over and over?  Just info until the
next show could be enough. Maybe including the next show after that one.
But even then.

There is only program info for a few days into the future (5 or so) and
we're not watching american networks.
I don't care much about dupes since it is LiveTV and as long as there is
enough storage for a reasonable buffer it can go on. It'll expire
eventually.

> So, Myth is managing information about all of them.  It's also checking
> for duplicates.  It's scheduling when best to record them to make sure
> you record them as early as possible and/or with the best capture card
> possible and/or ensuring the proper prioritization of shows and/or with
> the fewest conflicts (all dependent upon various MythTV settings).  It's
> doing a ton of stuff.

I only have one card. I have 5 virtual tuners and looking into patching
so I have 6 virtual tuners. No more conflicts. So why check for them?
(they re much rarer now with multirec than they were before) (what file
can i edit for that? I only need to know the right location)
Maybe 7 tuners so I can record and watch without conflicts.

> Therefore, I still suggest some other program (i.e. dd or getatsc or
> something) or get a better system.

The system (software) is assuming way too much. How can I tell the
software it doesn't have to?
It's only 3 channels on a simple Dutch public TV situation. If that is
too much for a VIA Epia 12000EN there is something wrong.

> Of course, there's also the one
> suggestion I failed to provide earlier:  dig into the code and try to
> fix it yourself.  Only then will you see why what you're asking is
> probably too much for your little EPIA.

I ask less than you describe above.
Also you assume (again that word) I am a programmer.

> Using myth_upcoming_recordings.pl, my system shows that it will record
> 85 shows in the next 2 weeks.  It also has 165 duplicates and 25
> deactivated recordings.  Now, imagine scaling that such that some number
> closer to 1000 recordings will occur...

You re thinking way too big.

Also: why do the schedule work all at one point and not as a continuous,
quiet backgroundtask as long there is enough data buffered for
completing the current show and starting the next? (anything extra is a
nice welcome)

If the software asks too much of the system for recording 3 channels
continuously, waht do you estimate I would need for such a tiny task
with the few days of program info I have?

Then there's the issue that there's no errors. No complaints by the
software. Nothing.
That is the lest of the problems but the first to be fixed if there is
really something wrong.