[mythtv-users] Generating better recording filenames

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Apr 21 18:20:38 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean [mtdean at thirdcontact.com] wrote:
<...>

Indeed, it would be bad for people to rename things to their liking.
However, I think anybody with enough of a clue to try that would
probably find the right (mythrename) way quickly enough.

> Besides, who says that a name that's friendly to you is friendly to
> everyone else.  Everyone would want their own filename formats--which is
> the /entire/ point of mythrename.pl --link...  I can just imagine all
> the people complaining that the format should be user-modifiable.  (I
> don't want the start time, I want the original airdate, can't we just
> add a setting...  Rinse and repeat a million times--each complaining
> about something different.)
>
> Is it really so hard to run mythrename.pl --link?  I have my system run

There is no reason a power user couldn't still run mythrename to make
things exactly the way they want.  All I'm saying is that the default
cryptic names are a barrier to entry for naive users who just want to
play their files "out of the box" with a non-mythtv front end.

Drew