[mythtv-users] Does Fast Forward Work for anyone?

Eric Dalquist eric.dalquist at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 21 18:32:54 UTC 2008

Do you mean 802.11g? I had been streaming HD captures from a HDHomeRun
over 802.11g without too much trouble. That was through 2 drywall walls
and was fine as long as the microwave was off and no other computers
were on the network. You are correct though that 22/24mbps is about the
max realistic throughput for 802.11g.

802.11n is another matter, I just updated my router firmware and now the
802.11n chipset in it plays nice with my MacBook Pro 802.11n chipset. I
now get real-world speeds that max out around 72mbps, the router is much
more tolerant of the microwave and other computers can easily be using
the network while I stream HD content (~22mbps). My usable range for HD
streaming also increased by ~ 25%.

I will say that fast-forward over the 802.11g connection wasn't the best
but I really only used the 30second skip forward 5 second skip back
buttons. Now that I'm on 802.11n fastforward/rewind work better but the
skip buttons are still the easiest.

-Eric

PS: I'm using a Linksys WRT-350N with DD-WRT v.24-RC7