[mythtv-users] DISH 722 receiver and "screen saver"

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Mon Apr 21 23:54:20 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Misty P wrote:
>
>> Does your remote have a "clear" button?  My old D* boxes had screen
>> savers
>> that would wake up on any remote keypress, and the best way to wake
>> them up
>> without actually *doing* something was sending clear, then whatever
>> I really
>> wanted to send.
>
> No clear button, it does have a "cancel" which is probably the same.
> In any case, it doesn't do anything if the unit is in ss mode.

One last idea...  If the unit is not in the screen saver, if you hit select
then cancel, does it go back to not "interactive" mode?  (whatever that
is...)

If so, then you may just want to send select-cancel before everything.
Ugly, but it just might do the trick.

> I can stop this behavior by disconnecting the phone line and/or
> ethernet, so it never gets a complete download and thus doesn't go
> into ss mode. I don't care if the box gets schedule info or not but
> the problem with that solution is they charge more $$$ if you are not
> connected to them somehow. I guess they think you are stealing
> pay-per- view programming or trying to beat the sports blackout rules.
>
> A friend of mine told them his receiver was in an RV, so he couldn't
> connect to them, but they still charged him the extra fee. It's not
> the money, it's not much, but the principle of the thing.

Well if you really want to get crazy, put your receiver on x10 (or zwave or
whatever), and rig up a little box that would enable/disable the phone line
via a command.  Enable the phone line, bounce the receiver at 3:30 AM, cut
the phone line, bounce again at 4:00 AM....  solved!

(...but that sounds like a lot of work, even on principle.)