[mythtv-users] Trying to get XVMC to work.

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:12:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:24 AM, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> Thanks Kevin...  I know there are a number of errors.  I thought I would
> go after the "tallest weed" first.  Also, this set up will play back
> stuttering video using the "slim" profile.  So (my thinking), things
> should only improve if the mpeg2 decoding is moved from software to
> hardware.
>
> I have gone through the wiki and I'll have another go at it. FYI, my
> mythtv box is a Debin/Unstable, 3GHz, 1GByte & Nvidia-6000 based system.
>
> > Make sure that in the playback profile group the max cpus (next to
> > where you assign XvMC as the decoder) is set to 1.  If it's set to
> > more than one it will fail...though probably only if you have
> > hyper-threading or multiple CPUs.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Ah, didn't see that "sub menu" under edit.  I checked and all are set to
> using only 1 CPU.
>
> > Did you config the XvMCConfig file?
> >
> > [myth at mythtv ~]$ cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
> > libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
> > [myth at mythtv ~]$
> >

> > Mitchell
>
> Yes, I have actually tried all these:
>
> ==> /etc/X11/XvMCConfig <==
> libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
>
> ==> /etc/X11/XvMCConfig.20080219 <==
> libXvMC.so.1
>
> ==> /etc/X11/XvMCConfig.20080417 <==
> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1
>
> ...thanks everyone, I'll post a follow up if / when something starts
> working...

I hate to state the obvious, but have you confirmed which file you have on
your system, it's name, and it's location?  The wiki has an example of how
to find the XvMC library if you used an RPM install but confirming the file
you're referencing exists and that you have the right filename should be a
first thing.  The xorg.conf would be nice also.

Kevin