[mythtv-users] OT: Hauppauge HD-PVR ships May 1

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 17:20:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Sarah Katherine Hayes <
sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> joe.white at wachovia.com wrote:
> >
>  > I just got off the phone with Happauge and the sales guy tells me that
> > my order will ship on May 1.  Now all I need is for Time Warner to
> > upgrade me, and oh yes, for my brain to decide on which TV to buy.
> >
> > Joe W
> >

> Actually, a dumb question but semi-on topic.  How goes getting playback
> of it's recordings working in Linux?  The sample that was around made
> mplayer and co. explode.   After all, if it can run semi-autonomously
> inside a virtual machine you could just let it loose and either import
> the recordings or use mythvideo... temporarily until Linux + Myth
> support comes.

Being H.264 content, it is dependent on the maturity of the H.264 support in
ffmpeg.  That being said, it also requires a significant CPU to decode from
what I understand.  I also expect this space to mature rapidly as the
content becomes available and also as vendors like Intel promise support for
H.264 decoding hardware and drivers on Linux.  Until then, keep up to date
with ffmpeg and the various players, possibly even compiling from source
frequently to get the latest updates and Myth will likely be doing the same
in SVN as ffmpeg patches for H.264 are committed upstream

Kevin