[mythtv-users] Missing HD channels and finding them

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Wed Apr 23 02:35:54 UTC 2008

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Seth Heckard <seth.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Seth Heckard <seth.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >  > Hi all,
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  I am using Comcast HD (via QAM with an AirStar card) and all I am
>>  >  >  interested in is the basic 4 networks in HD (I'd prefer more, but you
>>  >  >  know how it goes).  I had everything working all peachy-keen for about
>>  >  >  3 years now, and then Comcast up and changes the channel numbering and
>>  >  >  now I can't find FOX in HD.
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  I have the SD channel so I'm not missing out, and I even found the HD
>>  >  >  simulcast of the SD channel, but I can't find the HD channel.  My TV
>>  >  >  reports the channel as 98.3, but all Myth can find is 98.1 and .2.  I
>>  >  >  know it's not encrypted because I can watch it on my TV.
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  Any ideas how to locate this channel?  I've done the mega-search and
>>  >  >  am out of ideas.  Anybody?
>>  >
>>  >  Your location would be helpful for getting responses that are localized to you.
>>  >
>>  >  Have you checked out the following?
>>  >
>>  >  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Working_QAM_cable_layout
>>  >
>>  >  and if not there, then
>>  >
>>  >  http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channels
>>  >
>> I'm in Atlanta on the Comcast network.  On the second link you gave
>>  me, the following is the channel I need:
>>
>>  qam256  98      804     WAGADT  1280x720p
>>
>>  Can anybody in the Atlanta area give me a working entry for my
>>  channels.conf?  Thanks.
>>

> <Please don't top-post>
>
> Dumb question - have you tried re-scanning for the channel in
> mythtv-setup?  On the last Comcast channel move, I was able to find
> WAGA again.
>
> You should also find a few new QAM unencrypted stations that way, too.

I occasionally have this problem.  There is a forum where I can get the
information I need, then I use the following SQL to insert the channel
manually:

INSERT INTO `channel` (`chanid`, `channum`, `freqid`, `sourceid`,
`callsign`, `name`, `icon`, `finetune`, `videofilters`, `xmltvid`,
`recpriority`, `contrast`, `brightness`, `colour`, `hue`, `tvformat`,
`commfree`, `visible`, `outputfilters`, `useonairguide`, `mplexid`,
`serviceid`, `atscsrcid`, `tmoffset`, `atsc_major_chan`,
`atsc_minor_chan`) VALUES
(2710,'710','76',2,'KSAZ DT','FOX
HD','/home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/fox_affiliate.gif',0,'','21209',0,32768,32768,32768,32768,'',0,1,'',0,19,1,NULL,0,0,0);

Study this carefully.  You need to set the "chanid" based on the encoder
you are using, you'll probably have to poke around in your database to
figure this out.

The next tricky part is the mplexid.  You have to look at the
dtv_multiplex table to determine which frequency corresponds to the
desired channel number.

Bob