[mythtv-users] Hard Backend Lockups

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 11:44:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> I had that happening on my new system last year. Turns out I had a bad
>  memory slot that was only intermittently generating errors. I ran it
>  through a few rounds of memtest86 and got no errors. After a few
>  months, a rebuild, and swapping out some hardware I still had the
>  problem. Frustrated, I swapped out the motherboard and the problems
>  went away. I ran the previous motherboard through a more extensive run
>  of memtest86. I think it wasn't until the 10th or 15th pass that it
>  picked up the memory errors. From there I was able to narrow it down
>  and determine it was one of the memory slots that was bad, and only
>  failed memtest86 on about 5% of the passes.
>
>  --
At work I have seen memtest86 fail on a board for the first time 72
hours into the test. That was several hundred passes... To me the only
thing the memtest86 or any other tool that stresses hardware tells you
is the hardware is definitly bad. It can not prove that the hardware
is 100% problem free.

John