[mythtv-users] Broken Perl bindings

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 18:59:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  > On 04/24/2008 11:13 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>  >> I have discovered that, to my horror, the Perl bindings in my back end seem to
>  >> be fubared, meaning that my nightly run of optimize_mythdb.pl has been silently
>  >> failing since I upgraded to 0.21.
>  >>
>  >> I know zero about Perl. Is there a fairly straightforward way I can (i)
>  >> determine what's happening and (ii) correct it, or alternatively, install a
>  >> version which works?
>  >>
>  >> I am running Mandriva 2008.0 with the matching packaged version of Mythtv. Any
>  >> reply suggesting I re-install Perl is a no-go since that would mean
>  >> re-installing the whole box from scratch, and I don't want to go there if
>  >> possible. (Re-installing Mythtv /might/ be an option if there is no other way)
>  >
>  > Have you tried running optimize_mythdb.pl or mythrename.pl --link from
>  > the command line?  What errors do you get?
>  >
>  > Sounds a lot (without any more details than the timing you mentioned)
>  > like you don't have Net::UPnP::ControlPoint and Net::UPnP::QueryResponse
>  > installed.
>  >
>  In fact, I have a cron job which does a backup of the database, runs
>  optimize_mythdb.pl followed by mythrename.pl --link.
>
>  mythrename.pl --link /seems/ to run successfully when run from the command line.
>  optimize_mythdb.pl is the one that causes problems. Net::UPnP::ControlPoint is
>  the module it complains about. When I go and check what line the complaint is
>  from (15), that was when I realised that, though rpmdrake insists I have
>  installed the Perl-Mythtv package, optimize_mythdb.pl ain't finding it.
>
>  I get this on querying the package, if that helps:
>
>   Version: 0.21-16564.2mdv2008.0
>   Currently installed version: 0.21-16564.2mdv2008.0
>   Architecture: i586
>
>  Is there a Perl equivalent of ldconfig that should be run to rebuild the library
>  indexes, perhaps?
>
>  Mike Perkins

I know the error you're referring to...you get that if MythContext
(used by optimize_mythdb.pl as of 0.21) can't find valid login info,
-or- if your home directory is set to /, as is often the case when
running a cron.

In my cron scripts that run those processes I just set the HOME to /home/mythtv:

export HOME=/home/mythtv

For optimize_mythdb.pl you'll also have to make sure that home has the
file ~/.mythtv/config.xml with the correct login info, as that's what
the perl module is using.

Tom