[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Apr 24 19:03:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:30:00PM -0400, Conrad wrote:
> Brad,
>
> How did you fare with your directv receivers?  I am seriously considering
> switching, so I am looking for some recent practical experience.

...one thing that is getting me thinking about switching is the fact
that DirecTV wants to charge a lot of money for their HD tuners and
such. Dish seems to be willing to give you equipment for free if you
are a new customer whereas DirecTV wants to charge you quite a bit
for it. Plus they make noises like you're still only just leasing
the equipment eventhough they want you to pay them a lot of money
to buy it.

   I expect to use IR blasters regardless. It's crude but it's
always a usable fallback.

> Thanks.
>

> On 4/9/08, Conrad <conrad.montlouis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, Thanks.

> >> No satellite boxes have firewire ports (unless they've been modified by
> >> a 3rd party), so I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you're
> >> talking about controlling the box (for channel changes) you use the "USB
> >> Port". It's not a real USB port, it's a serial port that looks like a
> >> USB port. The wiki explains how to hook it up to your serial port on
> >> your myth box. The H21's have made the H20's obsolete so they only sell
> >> the newer ones now.
[deletia]