[mythtv-users] debian: can't install ivtv driver

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 24 19:08:14 UTC 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 12:38 PM, starcycle wrote:

>> I assume you are aware that just changing the permissions will work,
>> but will not survive a reboot if you are using udev.
>>

> No, I was not aware of that -- thanks for the heads up! I just
> rebooted, and in fact you are right, the permissions reverted to
> root:video 660 (with a c in front? crw-rw----).
>
> so the obvious question is, how do I get it to not do that? :D And
> maybe relatedly, why can't mythtv access the card with 775 permissions
> even though I put mythtv in the video group?

You'll have to re-write your udev rules. Not sure precisely how debian
has them set up, but take a look under /etc/udev.

A *really* dirty hack would be to just put a command to change the
permissions to what you want in rc.local. Very inelegant, but it
should work, as it would get executed after everything else.

The "c" just means that it is a character device.

beww