[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Thu Apr 24 19:25:57 UTC 2008

jedi wrote:
> ...one thing that is getting me thinking about switching is the fact
> that DirecTV wants to charge a lot of money for their HD tuners and
> such. Dish seems to be willing to give you equipment for free if you
> are a new customer whereas DirecTV wants to charge you quite a bit
> for it. Plus they make noises like you're still only just leasing
> the equipment eventhough they want you to pay them a lot of money
> to buy it.

direcTV's terms are ridiculous.  For a second HD receiver, you have to pay
$100 up front (the first is free), *plus* $5/month, *and* you have to return
it or pay a $240 fee.  Oh, *and* if you don't keep your service for a year,
they ding you *an additional* $300.

<sarcasm> Gee, with so much going in their favor, you can't afford NOT to
have two DTV HD receivers! </sarcasm>

(Sorry, but paying up front AND a recurring monthly fee AND having to return
the equipment is greedy and excessive, IMHO.)