[mythtv-users] Is it dead??? TDA1004 Nova-T won't signal lock

Chris Glover lists at glover.uk.net
Fri Apr 25 00:11:28 UTC 2008

Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:
> Interesting, gut feeling would be to redownload the firmware and fsck
> the drive, I'd also double check the card for bad solder joints around
> the antenna pick up.  It's amazing what weirdness can happen when the
> dust gets disturbed :)
>
> Assuming of course, the firmware goes in (looks like it), the correct
> /dev entries are appearing and it's just not finding anything.
>
> If you've got a signal booster between you and the ant' it might be a
> good idea to either rip it out or make sure any indicator lights that
> should be on, are on.   If all of that's good... and you don't have a
> Windows box to throw it in and test (hey, I'm not above suggesting it's
> eeprom's gone boink and needs resetting... which the Windows drivers
> might do)... in to yee deep dark spares bin she goes :(

As another thought...

If this card was in a PC that's been permenatly on for a long time, some
of the electrolytic capacitors on the card may have dried out, or burst.
Look for any capacitors that are bulging or oozing.

If you find any, either replace the caps with those of the same value
(The values are written on them) if you're good with a soldering iron.
Or, just consign it to the bin and treat yourself to a new one :-)

Seen similar things happen at work a few years ago (I work for a TV
station), turned off control room that had been powered on for about 5
years, when we turned it back on, we spent the next 6 hours trying to
make it work again! We also ended up buying all the capacitors in the
local branch of Maplin's!!!

HTH

Chris