[mythtv-users] Mythgame advice for non-gamer

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 13:06:39 UTC 2008

Apologizing ahead of time, Isaac, for the OT, but this just really
ground my gears....

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/04/2008, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

[...]
> > IMHO the best thing you could do for the kids is to keep them away
> > from anything even resembling a video game.
>
> Haha, there is always one preaching !

[...]
> > Looking through the "Help Wanted" ads in my local paper, I find no ads
> > with requirements like "Must be able to play WoW", or "Must be able to
> > get to level 30 of ET" :-)
>
> Believe it or not computer games can be a great stimulant and increase hand
> to eye co-ordination
> and depending on the game type can increase children's intelligence.  But as
> you have probably not
> played any games or witnessed this first hand you may  no know that.

Also, from personal experience, it can lead to a more intense interest
in computers, leading to an interest in a programming career (assuming
any of those stay in this hemisphere by the time they graduate).

I know the performance difference I saw between Ultima and Ultima ][
inspired me to teach myself 6502 assembly, leading to a currently 24
year programming career (though they make me use Java now) )-: