[mythtv-users] Directv vs Dish

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Fri Apr 25 13:59:44 UTC 2008

Mark wrote:
> George Mari wrote:
>> jedi wrote:

>>> ...I was just going based of their respective websites.
>>>
>>> I suspect that if I call them (DTV) and ask to be connected
>>> to cancellations that they might be willing to give me a
>>> better deal.
>>>

>> [deleted]
>>
>> The forums at dbstalk.com have some very helpful and legitimate tips on
>> how to deal with DirecTV's customer reps to try to get a better deal
>> when upgrading.  I was able to get 3 HD rcvrs for the price of 1, and 6
>> mos. of HD access for free when I upgraded last November by following
>> the advice on those forums.
>>

> Oh do tell....
>
> Please.

For me, when I wanted to upgrade, I first talked to Dish and got
information on what kind of deal I would get if I switched.  But I also
did research to see how I could fit one their settop boxes into my Myth
setup.  I resolved before all of this that if I did not get a
satisfactory deal from DirecTv, I would switch to Dish Network.

So when I called DirecTV and I wanted to upgrade to HD receivers, I told
them that I wanted to upgrade, and I wanted it for a price similar to
what I could get from Dish for the same equipment.  I really was willing
to switch - it wasn't just talk.  It then became a bit  of a negotiating
session, until I was satisfied with the offer they were giving me.

The other tips from dbstalk.com are, be polite, don't threaten or be
demanding, etc.  They also explain who to talk to.  Search for 'upgrade
deals' or 'ordering tips' on their forums.