[mythtv-users] OT - Re: Mythgame advice

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 25 14:15:13 UTC 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 1:40 AM, Mike Dent wrote:

> Believe it or not computer games can be a great stimulant and
> increase hand to eye co-ordination
> and depending on the game type can increase children's
> intelligence.  But as you have probably not
> played any games or witnessed this first hand you may  no know that.

I gave up on video games shortly after Pong came out.

Your excuse about hand/eye coordination etc. is oft used, and may have
a VERY limited truth to it, for very young kids.

However, I was out at our local college the other day. I overheard a
couple of students talking, saying they were flunking courses because
they "just didn't have time to study".

They then launched into a 30 minute discussion of their prowess and
progress at WoW.

I guess it never occurred to them that there might be a connection
between the two items of discussion.

I'm aware of a LOT of kids who spend a lot of time playing video
games, to the detriment of their studies and other functions like
washing and earning a living. Some of these "kids" are over 30 years
old.

WoW claims over 10,000,000 paying users. Do the math, at $15/month
that's enough to provide health care for every child who needs it in
this country, or pay off the national debt in a few years, or pay for
the war in Iraq (not that that's a good thing). What a waste of
resources.

As for increasing intelligence, most of the gamers I have met are in
dire need of that, so maybe that's a good thing, but I seriously doubt
it is true. :-)

</soapbox>

beww