[mythtv-users] OT: Hauppauge HD-PVR ships May 1

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 15:10:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Sarah Katherine Hayes
<sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net wrote:

>  Because if it was pure h264 it'd be playing

*sigh*

Codecs:  h.264, mpeg-2, etc

Containers: AVI, MKV, MPG, etc

These are two different things.  "Pure" h.264 inside even a MKV or MOV
container, using features that FFMPEG doesn't fully support yet in
release form, is perfectly capable of NOT working.  You can call it
hinkiness if you want, and I suppose their decision to mux h.264/aac
inside a TS container is a little unusual, but still...  the muxing
itself is one problem, and the feature set of a complicated codec like
H.264 is another problem.  Just because you've downloaded or encoded
lots of H.264 videos that play fine doesn't mean a whole lot.  I
wrestled for a long time getting the right options in place for
re-encoding video to my iPhone, a device with a hardware h.264
decoder.  It's a matter of supporting the right video profiles and
codec features.  It just feels like you're way underestimating h.264,
and misunderstanding the difference between codecs and containers.

Ok I'm done :)
- Willy