[mythtv-users] Strange, non-deletable entry in database

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sat Apr 26 04:08:48 UTC 2008

Hi -

I have an index entry in my database that I can't get rid of.  It occurred
the other night when I was watching live TV, when one of the tuners
couldn't seem to get a lock on a channel.  A "2 minute", 126MB file was
generated with the index entry _NO_TITLE_.  It did not expire, so I tried
to delete it manually - the data file on disk went away but the index
entry didn't and trying to delete it both from mythfrontend and from
mythweb did not work.  Not only is it still in the list of recordings (on
my main Mythbox, a BE/FE) but there's an annoying pause while the frontend
looks for the data file that it's supposed to point to.

Stranger still - if I fire up mythfrontend on my FE-only machine upstairs,
the entry isn't there.

Running optimize_mythdb.pl did not fix it.

I did a Google search on this and found the following in a post on the dev
list (25 Jan '08):

"Log:

If the title of a recording is empty (ie, ""), then set the displayed title
to _NO_TITLE_ on the Watch Recordings screen.  The title is used as a key
in several QMaps in PlaybackBox, and an empty string is used as a special
case for All Programs, so this was masking recordings with empty titles.
There normally should not be recordings with empty titles, but just in case
there is bad data from a grabber or data provider, this mod will let the
user see the recordings so they can be edited or deleted."

However, I couldn't find any info on how to get rid of it.  Further,
there's another post on the dev list from March that contains this:

"As far as the _NO_TITLE_ is concerned, I'll need to investigate at what
time this happens, but another thing its not (or does not seem to be)
possible to delete the _NO_TITLE_ entry using the Delete option."

Does anyone have any new info as to how to clean out this entry?  I
suspect it will require a bit of MySQL surgery but only want to do this if
there's no other way.

Thanks
Bob