[mythtv-users] Dolby Digital Signal indicator on Receiver

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sat Apr 26 08:33:55 UTC 2008

> A clarification:
>
> With these settings:
>
> Audio output device = /dev/adsp
> Passthrough outputdevice = Alsa:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough check
> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough check
> iecset audio 0

OK, here's the latest:

Almost everything works.  I'm still using the above settings.

By putting this in /etc/asound.conf:

pcm.!default spdif

I now can play music with Amarok (outside of Myth) through the SPDIF
interface.
My HDTV recordings play in 5.1 surround.
Playing DVDs with Xine, either inside or outside the Myth interface, gives
me excellent Dolby digital/DTS sound.

However:
If I fire up mythfrontend and play an analog recording (or one made from
the STB via S-video), or run Mythmusic, BEFORE playing an HDTV recording
or watching a 5.1/AC3 video file - I have sound.  If I then play a 5.1/AC3
recording, I have sound.  If I then go back to something with a 2.0/analog
soundtrack or run Mythmusic - silence.  HDTV/5.1 recordings always have
sound.

If I now exit mythfrontend, then run "iecset audio 1" followed immediately
by "iecset audio 0", then restart mythfrontend - I can play anything -
again, until I play an HDTV recording, and after that, back to the above
scenario.

What needs to happen is I need to toggle the "iecset audio" bit twice
before starting any music, video or recording with analog sound.  Is there
any way to do this within Mythfrontend?  Better yet...a fix which doesn't
require any bit-flipping?  The closest I've seen so far is Tim Fenn's
trick with the remote, but I'm not using one yet - I use a small RF
keyboard instead.

Bob